Saturday, December 17, 2011

Vanilla

About 3 years ago I was browsing threw Amazon and I saw 15 Madagascar vanilla pods for 12 dollars, the price was great and I have never seen a vanilla pod so I ordered it. I made a bunch of vanilla ice cream and was at a loss on what to do with the rest of them so I wrapped them up in paper towels and placed in a ziploc bag and stored in my baking cabinet and was forgotten about.

Fast forward 13 months I went to use them and they were dry as the desert so I put them away until I can figure
out what to do with them, I was thinking of vanilla sugar. But the day after my daughters birthday in October she came home with 2 big jugs of vodka, when I saw it I immediately thought of making vanilla extract!

I took 4 of the smallest vanilla pods broke them up into pieces and placed them into a clean canning jar and filled it up with vodka I would say about a cup and a half, tightly sealed it and put it away in the cabinet. I couldn't help but look and the vodka had already turned dark.

Two months later I have a large jar of homemade vanilla which should last me a long time, I'm very happy about the income. Now if I make vanilla sugar what exactly do I use it for?

No comments:

Post a Comment